Friday, August 9, 2013

Mosquitos May Well Be, in Fact, Specific...

   I always thought I was a target of the little bloodsuckers, and it looks like I might be right!  According to an article by WWBT12, the local NBC affiliate in Richmond, mosquito bites are not nearly as random as I'd always thought...before you accuse me of a persecution complex, read http://bit.ly/136oZGF as posted by Channel 12.  Here are some highlights through my (admittedly, rather distorted) lens.

   I was flummoxed when I read that the consumption of even a single beer can lead to the production of ethanol (yeah, sure, a meager amount, you're not improving your mileage here) that will attract mosquitos your buffet-like epidermis.

   Ironically, sweat from a good workout will also lead to the production of chemicals that will attract the little suckers (pun very much intended).  So, if you work out, then have one of those low-carb beers...yeah, have some cortisone cream handy.

   The article from 12 News goes on to say that dark-colored clothes will further draw the attention of mosquitos.  So, let's go through this...you build a sweat through a workout, have a low-carb beer, and have on dark clothes...you're like a mosquito smorgasbord; a West Nile Petrie dish waiting to happen.

   Now, there are some suggestions in the article for prevention of mosquito bites (at least how to avoid a bevy of them) and you can read the link for those tips, but I have done my part, folks.  I have raised the alarmists' flag!  I have given you just enough information to create fear and panic; or some slight discomfort; or maybe a source of discussion at one of those picnics where you don't know anybody and the person you came with has gone off to talk about something with somebody who started their conversation with, "O-M-G!" so you know it'll be a long conversation.  It beats talking about the weather...not by much, but, whatever.

   The wagon rolls on, folks.  Thanks for riding shotgun.  Please apply bug spray liberally.

No comments:

Post a Comment