Wednesday, August 14, 2013

People You May Know...?

   Why is it the Facebook seems to want me to "Friend" people that are in no way connected to me and, frankly, are a couple of days past filming an episode of "To Catch a Predator" if someone of an adult age were to "Friend" them?

   I find myself disturbed by the nature of whatever search algorithm it is that recommends these people to me as possible friends.  These aren't random "People from Nigeria" seeking to friend unsuspecting sugar daddies for whom they can become the latest Carlos Danger.  Those are the Internet predators for whom we must all look out, we're warned about such things almost daily on our local news...but this is Facebook itself making these recommendations. 

   Of course, I worry that some my true friends may have fallen prey to these vixens, but I refuse to see what "Friends in Common" we share for fear of inadvertently friending one of these ladies (pardon the liberal use of the term) and opening myself up to perhaps more friend requests from such questionable sources.

   Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but such is the right of a parent and educator, so bear with me, or - at least - tolerate me.  

   And, I'm not changing my Facebook settings.  I mean, people still have to request me as a friend, they can't just "Friend" me.  Now Twitter, well that's different...you can follow or be followed pretty much at will...though I guess you can adjust your settings there, too.

   The wagon rolls on.  Thanks for riding shotgun; and you can send me a friend request, if you want...just be sure to mention this blog in the request, okay?  That way I'll know you're not a Catfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment